Composition of the State Consumer Protection Council. The Consumer Protection Council for the State of Kerala shall consist of the following members, namely: –
(a) The Minister in-charge of Consumer Affairs in the State of Kerala who shall be the Chairman;
(b)Three members of the Kerala Legislative Assembly, nominated by the Government;
(c) Five representatives from the Government Departments and Undertakings concerned, with consumer interests, nominated by the Government;
(d) Five representatives from the voluntary consumer organizations functioning in the State, nominated by the Government, of whom two shall be women;
(e) Four representatives from among farmers, manufacturers, traders and industrialists, nominated by the Government;
(f) Two persons capable of representing consumer interests other than those specified above nominated by the Government;
(g) The Commissioner of Civil Supplies – ex-officio;
(h) The Secretary to the Government of Kerala, Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs – ex-officio;
(i) The Director of Civil Supplies, Kerala – ex-officio;
(j) The Registrar & Secretary, Consumer Disputes Redressel Commission – ex-officio;
(k) The official or non-official members nominated by the Central Government;
(l) The Additional Secretary to Government, Food, Civil Supplies and Consumer Affairs, who shall be the Member Secretary of the State Council who shall be the Member Secretary of the State Council
The term of office of the members shall be three years from the date of nomination of such members. Any nominated member may, by writing under his hand addressed to the Chairman of the State Council, resign his office. Any vacancy that may arise due to resignation or otherwise shall be filled from among the same category and such person shall hold office only for the remainder of the term of office of the person in whose place he was nominated.
Procedure for the meetings of the State Council.
(1) Every meeting of the State Council shall be convened by the Member Secretary in accordance with the directions of the Chairman.
(2) The meeting of the State Council shall be presided over by the Chairman. In the absence of the Chairman, the members present shall elect a person from among themselves to preside over that meeting.
(3) The quorum for a meeting of the State Council shall be seven.
(4) Every meeting of the State Council shall be called only after giving not less than seven days’ notice in writing of the date of meeting, to each member Provided that a meeting of the State Council may be convened with less than seven days’ notice if the circumstances so warrant. However, each member shall be informed of the date, time and place of meeting sufficiently early.
(5) Every notice of the meeting of the State Council shall specify the place, date and hour of the meeting and shall contain a statement of the business to be transacted thereof.
(6) For the purpose of performing its functions, the State Council may constitute, from amongst the members, such working groups as it may deem necessary under the Chairmanship of the Member-Secretary of the Council and each such working group so constituted shall perform such functions as are assigned to it by the State Council. Such working groups shall consist of not exceeding five members and shall meet as and when necessary. The findings of such working groups shall be placed before the State Council for its consideration.
(7) The resolutions passed by the State Council shall be recommendatory in nature.
(8) No proceedings of the State Council shall be invalid merely by reason of existence of any vacancy in or any defect in the constitution of the Council.
(9) The members shall be eligible for traveling allowance and daily allowance for attending the meetings of the State Council or its working groups at the rate admissible to Class I Officers of the Government. On receipt of the claim, payment of traveling allowance and daily allowance to members shall be made by the Registrar & Secretary of the State Commission from the traveling allowance Head of Account of the Consumer Disputes Redressal Commission.
(10) Every claim under this sub-rule shall be subject to certifying by the member to the effect that he had not claimed such allowances from any other Government Departments, Ministries or Organizations or establishments for his visit to attend the meeting of the State Council or any of its working group. For the purpose of calculating traveling allowance, the address of the member as shown in the notification constituting the Council shall be followed. Local non-official members residing at the place of the venue of the meeting shall be paid a consolidated amount of rupees 150 (Rupees one hundred and Fifty only) per diem.